Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Favorite Novel


It's hard for me to choose a favorite novel, really. I've always loved reading and I love so many books that it's just too much pressure to choose just one that is my favorite. I guess you could say I've had favorites at different phases of my life. Here are a few that have stood out to me over the years, and that I would gladly read over and over again.

Probably my first favorite novel was Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. I read it in fourth grade for Mrs. Shields' class. Then in high school a few of my favorites were The Catcher in the Rye  and Fahrenheit 451 in Mrs. Kidd's class and The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien with Mr. Hittle. I think I started reading the Harry Potter series sometime in middle school and remember feeling so much joy at being completely immersed in the world of Hogwarts for the 2-3 days after each book was released. (My favorites are Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix.)

Lately, I've really enjoyed the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I love all of the characters and the way that George R.R. Martin has created such an elaborate world and history for them. Finally, to circle back a bit, my book club group just recently read Fahrenheit 451 and it's one of the few books we've all truly enjoyed so far. I was one of the few to have already read it, but I was happy to read it again after so many years. It's eerie how relevant it remains in our society today, and we had our most lively and satisfying conversation around it.

These are just a few of my favorites. I'd love to hear what some of your favorite books are! I have to re-boot my book club after all!

1 comment: