Thursday, August 9, 2012

Couch-to-5K

Hello again! Twice in as many weeks? I know, you probably didn't believe me when I said I was going to write weekly, but I am!

from coolrunning.com


I've been trying to convince myself to get into a regular exercise routine for about four years now, and today I started my most serious attempt to date. Today was day one for me using the Couch-to-5K running plan! The way that the program works is that it focuses on gradually increasing the amount you are running each day that you run so that by the end of the eight week program, you can run for five kilometers! You have to run three days a week with a rest day between each run day. Each run is approximately 30 minutes in length with a warm up and a cool down.

My first run today was mostly walking. It mainly alternated 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking over a half hour. In this way, your heart rate stays elevated for the entire half hour work out, which is the goal of cardiovascular exercise. By the end of the program, there will be no walking at all. I am excited to get back in shape, but also terrified: I have never been good at sticking with an exercise routine and I absolutely HATE running. I am doing this, however, because I want to be in good enough shape so that I can ride my bike to work a couple of times a week without collapsing from exhaustion. So, wish me luck and periodically ask me how I am doing with my running (to guilt me in to sticking with the program). 

iPod motivational random surprise song of the run:
Sonique - World of Change


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are doing this!! You'll have tO check out this new running app I got called, zombies, run! It's amazing and I know you would love it...and it gives you a ton of motivation! Keep me updated on your running journey!

    ReplyDelete